Campus veteran services

Support from your peers

Through our Student Veteran Peer Mentor services, student veterans are available to help you and your dependents make the challenging transition from the military to student life. Our peer mentors have served in the U.S. Army, Navy and the Texas National Guard and are ready to answer your questions.

To speak to a Student Veteran Peer Mentor, call 940-565-3566, email us or visit the Student Veteran Services office in the General Academic Building (GAB), suite 119.

The university has organized a committee of more than 45 members who serve on a dozen work groups to better support you, our veteran student population.

We're indebted to you and your service. We’re committed to your success. Join us at UNT – the best place for the next step in your life.

UNT Student Veteran Services

The UNT Student Veteran Services office serves as a safe place to help student veterans navigate the university resources for academic success. The office focuses on removing barriers, providing a connection to resources and giving due recognition of the servicemembers in our UNT community. For more information, please call 940-369-8021.

Student Organizations

The SALUTE Veterans Honor Society and its distinctive four-tier system recognizes American active military and student veterans who have earned an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher; graduate students must have a minimum of 3.5 GPA. UNT inducts new society members each fall and spring.

The Student Veterans Association of UNT assists veterans, active duty members, reservists, National Guard members and their dependents to make an easier transition into the academic community. This group provides camaraderie and support through monthly meetings and social programs throughout the academic year.

For more information about these organizations, call UNT Student Veteran Services at 940-369-8021.

Well-being support

UNT's Counseling and Testing Services in Chestnut Hall offers individual, group and couples counseling and testing opportunities, with an emphasis on the specific issues facing veterans.

We also provide you with family and parenting services from family developmental specialists at UNT, along with community partners such as Texas HIPPY (Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters) and AmeriCorps Vista.

The Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Clinic at UNT's Speech and Hearing Center and its staff provide comprehensive clinical audiologic diagnostic services to veterans. They also offer a comprehensive regimen of rehabilitative services and devices that will assist veterans in alleviating and coping with their hearing loss and/or damage.

The Office of Disability Accommodation can assist with adaptive strategies and academic accommodations if you qualify for disability accommodations. For more information, visit the office in Sage Hall, Suite 167.

Academic support

Many entering freshmen are undecided or undeclared. Professional academic advisors are available to help you select your major and to help guide you in course selection each year. Each college or school at UNT has advisors on staff to answer your questions and set up your degree plan.